English interface for sch-scripts

Ξεκίνησε από alkisg, 24 Σεπ 2010, 10:53:08 ΜΜ

« προηγούμενο - επόμενο »

alkisg

sch-scripts is a classroom administration tool for Ubuntu/LTSP. As there's no other good tool with similar functionality for Ubuntu (iTalc unfortunately crashes too often), we made our own for our local needs.

Some international users were interested in using it, so I'm uploading two packages for them, with most of the UI translated in English by dgroos (thanks!).

Quick installation instructions:

• Install xvnc4viewer and sch-client to the chroot. For the following commands to work, make sure you downloaded sch-client_10.04.38_all.deb to your current directory:
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install xvnc4viewer
sudo cp sch-client_10.04.38_all.deb /opt/ltsp/i386/tmp
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 dpkg -i tmp/sch-client_10.04.38_all.deb
sudo rm /opt/ltsp/i386/tmp/sch-client_10.04.38_all.deb

• Install sch-client and then sch-scripts to the server, by double-clicking on them, so that gdebi-gtk pulls in all their dependencies.
  • Run `sudo sch-scripts` and go to server > virtual drive > compress chroot.
That's it, you should be ready to go.

Keep in mind that the teacher screen broadcasting / screen monitoring doesn't use encryption like iTalc does, for speed reasons (it's about 5 times faster than iTalc).
Also the root commands (like poweroff) don't use encryption, but that shouldn't matter. We generally didn't give excessive thought to security to make it in time for 10.04. The user commands (like those in the execute dialog) do use ssh encryption though.

You can find us on the #linux.sch.gr IRC channel on freenode for feedback.
Enjoy!

For Greek readers: don't use those because they lack the Greek settings we want, use the ones from the Greek PPA instead.
Για τους Έλληνες χρήστες: μην χρησιμοποιείτε αυτές τις εκδόσεις γιατί δεν περιέχουν τις ελληνικές ρυθμίσεις που θέλουμε, χρησιμοποιήστε τα ελληνικά sch-scripts από το αποθετήριο.